The Campbell Social Welfare Coordinating Group (SWCG) Editorial Board has created an awards program to encourage production of rigorous systematic reviews that can inform social welfare policy and practice. The first of these awards is named in honor of Leonard E. Gibbs, one of the leaders of the Evidence-Based Practice movement who passed away in 2008.
Additional awards may be developed in the future.
The Leonard E. Gibbs Award
The Leonard E. Gibbs Award will be given to the authors of a completed Campbell systematic review that contributes to evidence-informed practice in social welfare. The Leonard E. Gibbs Award has been awarded annually since 2009.
Eligible reviews include all those published within the Campbell Social Welfare Group in the previous year. The award covers the registration of the lead author or his/her designate.
- The Co-chairs of the SWCG will appoint a panel of no fewer than three qualified judges, drawing from the members of the SWCG Editorial Board and other voting members of the SWCG who have no conflict of interest;
- Judges' identities will be kept confidential until the recipient of the award is announced;
- Judges will independently rate nominations based solely on scientific merit, quality of written documents, and applicability to policy/practice.
- Judges will submit their rankings to the Co-chairs;
- The Co-chairs will tally the results and announce the winner;
- In the event that no new review has been approved in any calendar year, or if in the opinion of the judges no review is deemed of sufficient merit, an award may be deferred for that year.
The award will consist of the following forms of recognition:
- A commemorative plaque, presented to the authors of the winning review;
- A complimentary registration fee for one of the authors (selected in consultation with the lead author) to attend the annual Campbell Collaboration Colloquium in order to receive the award. (Authors need not attend the Colloquium in order to receive the award);
- Public announcements posted on the website of the Campbell SWCG and via other outlets, as suitable and available.
Contributions for the Leonard E. Gibbs Award can be sent to:
The Campbell Collaboration's International Secretariat
P.O. Box 4404