Full text keyword search[?]
"search" : Search for an exact word or phrase
-search : Exclude a word. Add a dash (-) before a word to exclude all results that include that word.
OR : Search for either word. If you want to search for pages that may have just one of several words, include OR (capitalised) between the words. For example, "labor" OR "labour" will show results containing pages with "labor" and "labour". Without the OR, your results will show only pages that match all terms.
intitle: Search for a word or phrase. Unlike the Title search field below the Keyword search field, you can combine terms. For example: intitle:female OR intitle:women will show results containing pages with "female" and "women" in the title.
intext: Search only in the description text field of the page. This field usually contains the abstract or summary of the publication.
Campbell systematic reviews
Browse by subject area
- Research methods
- Business and Management
- Crime and Justice
- International Development
- Knowledge Translation and Implementation
- Nutrition and Food Security
- Social Welfare
Learn more about Campbell systematic reviews
Campbell evidence and gap maps
Coming soon – Campbell EGMs are a new evidence synthesis product. Plain language summaries of our EGMs will be published on this website. The interactive EGMs and full EGM reports will be available in our journal on the Wiley Online Library platform: click here.
Learn more about Campbell EGMs
Campbell has produced maps on other topics, sometimes in partnership with other organisations.
See our other EGMs
What are the effects of 'Teach For America' on Math, English Language Arts, and Science outcomes of K–12 students in the USA?
- Authors: Herbert Turner, Mackson Ncube, Annette Turner, Robert Boruch, Nneka Ibekwe
- Published date: 2018-06-25
- Coordinating group(s): Education
- Type of document: Title, Protocol, Review, Plain language summary, Other
- See the full review: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.4073/csr.2018.7
About this systematic review
This Campbell systematic review examines the impact of 'Teach For America' on learning outcomes. Four studies were included in the review.
What are the main results?
Studies had to be a quantitative evaluation of the effects of TFA on K-12 student academic outcomes. Studies also had to use a research design which:
- allowed valid causal inferences about TFA’s effects
- targeted participants K–12 students taught by TFA corps members or TFA alumni in the USA
- compared TFA corps members to novice teachers, or compared TFA alumni with veteran teachers, and
- reported at least one academic student outcome in math, ELA, or science domains.
A total of 919 citations were retrieved on TFA, of which 24 studies were eligible for review. However, when the research design and study quality along with types of TFA corps members and non-TFA teachers compared were reviewed, the evidence base for estimating the effects of TFA on student academic outcomes was reduced to just four studies.
There is no significant effect on reading from teaching by TFA corps members in their first or second year of teaching elementary-grade students (PreK – grade 5) compared to non-TFA teachers who are also in their first or second year of teaching elementary-grade students. There is a small positive effect for early elementary-grade students (PreK to grade 2) in reading but not in math.
However, given the small evidence base, these findings should be treated with caution.